Structure of the review
The structure of the review was described as follows:
- the review will be overseen by the steering group, chaired by Sir Gareth Roberts
- a technical review (TR) team led by HEFCE officers will develop alternative approaches to research assessment for consideration by the steering group
- the steering group will guide the TR team and evaluate the approaches to assessment against published criteria
- there is a public invitation to contribute to the debate, both formally and informally, on fundamental issues and on approaches to assessment. Opinions and evidence gathered as a result of this process will be used by the TR team
- the output will be a number of models of research assessment and a short covering report to be presented to the Chairmen and Chief Executives of the funding bodies prior to formal consultation.
Each funding body will be responsible for consulting its governmental stakeholders and ensuring their views are reflected in the process. Other key stakeholders will be involved through a ‘virtual consultative group’ with access to all steering group papers and remote discussions, and by making extensive use of a dedicated website which will be operational in the near future.